In this week’s episode we dive deep into the principles of consistent people & how you can start following through on the habits you want for your coaching business and health today!
Episode Summary: The Principles of Consistent People
#1 They start from where they are at.
If you want to develop success habits, it’s important to realistically evaluate what you’re currently doing and what’s a slight step up from that.
Inconsistent people think small steps are TOO SMALL to matter, and therefore use it as an excuse not to start or do anything… or they commit to massive life changes all at once only to find themselves white knuckling and giving up a few days in.
Why do you keep doing this to yourself? Start with an improvement that feels easy and it will re-train your brain to think building new habits it FUN. You’ll be thinking, “what more can I do?!”
#2 They know what they want and create a realistic plan.
If you want to be consistent with a particular habit, you MUST get clear about what “consistency” means for YOU!
- How often am I committing to this new habit?
- What’s my target for judging consistency? Is it a time target (i.e. comitting to something for a certain amount of hours per week), or a different kind of target?
- What am I giving myself permission to bomb right now, so I can make ROOM for this new habit & keep my focus narrow?
- What are the exceptions I’ll allow for this new habit?
Then, create a realistic plan… especially a realistic daily plan for how your new habit will fit in, what might trip you up, and how you’re going to handle it. I use the High Performance Planner to keep my consistency going strong!
#3 They figure it out & make room for mistakes.
Consistent people understand that mistakes are a required part of the process and provide valuable lessons. They explore how they could make an improvement next time & look at it as if they were their own coach or friend giving themselves advice.
They don’t add emotionally dramatic thoughts like, “I’m such a loser. I will NEVER get it right. This always happens.” THIS DOES NOT HELP YOU. IT RE-TRAINS YOUR BRAIN TO NEVER WANT TO TRY FORMING NEW HABITS BECAUSE OF THIS VISCIOUS CYCLE.
Inconsistent people hate mistakes and refuse to investigate why they happened, what thoughts led up to it, and how they can improve. Instead, they make a delusional promise to themselves that they will get it right next time with no game plan in place, just willpower.
- Free Strategy Call Application (for Private or Zero to Hero Group Coaching)
- High Performance Planner
- ENERGYbits Algae (Use coupon code HAILEY at energybits.com for 20% off)
- Brendon Burchard
- Finish by Jon Acuff (Audio Book)
- Finish by Jon Acuff (Book)
- Start by Jon Acuff (Book)
- Primal Kitchen Cook Book