Niche Indecision holding you back?
Feeling the fear of picking the wrong niche?
Or scaring people off if you’re TOO specific about your niche?
I get it. It’s a tough choice, especially if you’re just starting out as a coach.
Since the coaching & online service industry is crowded, it’s important to choose a niche if you want to stand out. As the common saying goes, trying to speak to EVERYONE will land with NO ONE.
I’ve found that you will be more magnetic to your ideal client & also be respected more by people who are not in your niche when you STAND FOR SOMETHING.
When I personally chose a niche, I not only had more people coming to me within that niche with questions & interest in my services, but I also had more people outside my niche coming to me and asking if I’d work with them too.
Ask yourself if being general in your marketing is consistently getting you your dream clients… are people reaching out to you on a regular basis? If the answer is no, then you have nothing to lose by choosing a niche. You can ALWAYS expand or change your niche later on once you’ve had some success, but for now… Let’s get FOCUSED on one niche.
These brands are part of some people’s IDENTITY. They are each creating their own movement.
We want to do the same for your brand.
However, that does NOT mean you cannot work with people outside of your niche or that you can’t tweak your message for local opportunities or custom situations.
There are 2 exceptions where you may choose to EXPAND YOUR NICHE & be more broad in your messaging:
One is if you are doing LOCAL marketing in addition to online marketing (i.e. partnering with like-minded businesses in the community as referral partners, hosting workshops, etc.). If this is the case- you can list SEVERAL examples of the benefits of your coaching to try to appeal to a broader market.
For example, if your online message is “I help women get pregnant naturally without IVF.” Your local message if partnering with a business like a Chiropractor would probably expand to something like
“I’m a health coach helping individuals overcome challenges such as…
- Overeating & feeling out of control around food
- High cholesterol & blood pressure
- Anxiousness & chronic job stress”
Notice how in this example, there’s several examples listed to try to appeal to a bigger local market.
The other exception is if you want to test a couple different elevator pitch promises out privately with individuals to see what resonates the most.
You might choose to customize what elevator pitch you send someone based on what you know about the possible struggles they have.
Niche Indecision: How to Gain Clarity on What to Choose
If niche indecision is paralyzing you from moving forward in your business, here’s my recommended decision making criteria…
- Choose a niche that can PAY for your services: Does one of your niche options tend to have a higher average income than another kind of niche? If so, you might want to prioritize that niche. For example, if you’re trying to decide between helping stay-at-home moms and executive career moms, it might be easier to convert executive career moms than stay-at-home moms.
- Choose a niche that is EASY to find online: Set yourself up for online marketing success by choosing a niche who would be easy to target and find online. In other words, you want to choose a niche in which it’s easy for you to think about what Facebook Groups they’d be in, who they’d follow on Instagram, what hashtags they might use on Instagram, etc. Niches who are easy to find online would be certain career types (i.e. picking lawyers as your niche), diet types (ie plantbased, keto, etc.), and so on.
- Choose a niche who WANTS help, not just NEEDS help: You don’t want to have to CONVINCE someone they need your services. Instead, you want to choose a niche who is motivated to get your help. For example, if you choose people struggling with anxiety as your niche, they might need your help… but they might be struggling to conjure up the courage to talk to someone (due to their anxiety) that makes it difficult to be successful with this niche.
And if you want more support with choosing a profitable niche, click here to learn more about my Profitable Niche & Content Course. You can also check out my Free Niche Marketing Training.